HOW TO DOWNSIZE AS A SENIOR
MOVING YOUR ITEMS INTO STORAGE
VÅR FLYTTEGUIDE OM HVORDAN DET FUNGERER:
GET CREATIVE WITH YOUR NEW SPACE
PLAN A YARD SALE
DONATE AND DECLUTTER
We know using a rented truck is the preferred moving method for some people, but for seniors we strongly recommend hiring professional movers. If you have any health concerns, it’s especially important to prioritize your safety first. Even if you’re fit as a fiddle, things like weather, access, and staircases can all present challenges on moving day that you shouldn’t have to worry about. If you’ve been living in the same place for a long time, you may not have used moving services in years — or ever — and we can help you with that, too!
DONATE AND DECLUTTER
We’re all aware that there are a lot of scams on today’s Internet, and you can’t trust every website or ad you see. Here’s how to research moving companies online for best results when you’re looking for moving estimates:
- Use Google Businesses results to get started. There are requirements companies have to meet to be listed on Google for Business, although it may not be 100% foolproof.
- Check Google Reviews for every moving company you consider reaching out to. You can check not only the company’s rating out of five, but equally as important is the number of reviews they’ve amassed. Businesses can’t pay to have these reviews taken down or altered, but they can respond to each review. Check out what customers have to say as well as how businesses respond to the reviews their customers leave.
- Make sure the moving company has a phone number in addition to their website. You should be able to speak to a real person on the phone before you book your move.
- Check that estimates are free. No reputable moving company should ever charge for an estimate. While most companies will take a deposit, that shouldn’t happen until you’re at the booking stage.
- Look for companies that are involved with their community. This is a win-win situation — you can entrust your move to a company that you know does good in your community, and you’ll also be able to confirm that an organization in your community has used the moving company’s services before (and had a great experience with them!).
ASK ABOUT A SENIOR DISCOUNT
UNDERSTAND THAT MOVING CAN BE EMOTIONAL
RELOCATION STRESS SYNDROME
If you find that you are struggling with sad emotions and that they’re turning into more than you can cope with, we want to make sure our readers are aware of Relocation Stress Syndrome. You can read more about it by clicking here, but we’re happy to summarize. Relocation Stress Syndrome is described as a nursing diagnosis (note: not a medical diagnosis) that can occur in older adults in the process of moving, especially if you’re moving into assisted living from a private residence. Relocation Stress Syndrome symptoms include anxiety, confusion, hopelessness, and loneliness. Please keep your health top of mind and reach out to family, friends, or even your doctor if you feel you may be experiencing this.